MALAGASY LUTHERAN CHURCH
Communion prayer, 16th Sunday after Trinity
Week of 17 to 22 September 2018
“God gives life”
Introduction: “God’s giving life” is the primary idea contained in God’s creation work since the beginning, as it is written: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light” Ge.1:1-3. So “the light” is nothing but the existence of life according to what is written: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind” Jn.1:1-4. Surely God is the Lord over life, and He wants that we, sinful humans, may live. Because through sin death has come into our human life, consistently with what is written: “… and death [entered the world] through sin, and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned” Rom.5:12b, for “the sting of death is sin” 1 Cor.15:56a. Therefore He says: “As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel?” Ez.33:11. As the result of sin we are dead, separated from God. So He sent his One and Only Son to reconcile us to Him again (2 Cor.5:19-20), and to give life to the world (Jn.6:33). In this regard, Jesus said: “Because I live, you also will live” Jn.14:19. For Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life” Jn.3:36ª. So then, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household” Acts 16:31.
Monday 17 : God is Lord over life.
“I put to death and I bring to life, I have wounded and I will heal” Dt.32:39b.
Reading 1: Jas.4:7-12. Reading 2: Dt.32:39-40. Preaching 1 (free choice). Preaching 2 : Dt.32:39. Other references:
– “There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy” Jas.4:12.
– “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being” Rev.4:11.
Tuesday 18: Jesus Christ is life.
“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” Jn.14:6.
Reading 1: Acts 3:12-26. Reading 2: Jn.14:1-6. Preaching 1 (free choice). Preaching 2: Jn.14:6. Other references:
– “For the bread of God is the bread that comes down from heaven and gives life to the world” Jn.6:33.
– “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” Rom:6:23.
Wednesday 19: God has the power to make one live.
“Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!” The dead man came out…” Jn.11:43-44a.
Reading 1: 1 K.17:17-24. Reading 2: Jn.11:41-45. Preaching 1 (free choice). Preaching 2 : Jn.11:43-44. Other references:
– “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor” Mt.11:4-5.
– “Then he went up and touched the bier they were carrying him on, and the bearers stood still. He said, ‘Young man, I say to you, get up!’ The dead man sat up and began to talk, and Jesus gave him back to his mother” Lk.7:14-15.
Thursday 20: Believe in God’s life-giving power.
“Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?” Jn.11:40.
Reading 1 : Ps.116:1-10a. Reading 2 : Jn.11:32-40. Preaching 1 (free choice). Preaching 2 : Jn.11:40. Other references:
– “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life” Jn.5:24.
– “Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!” Lk.1:45.
Friday 21: Living for God is the climax of life.
“For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain” Phil.1:21.
Reading 1 : Mk.8:34-38. Reading 2 : Phil.1:20-26. Preaching 1 (free choice). Preaching 2 : Phil.1:21. Other references:
– “My food -said Jesus- is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work” Jn.4:34.
– “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” Gal.2:20.
Saturday 22 : The believers overcome decay forever.
”And the mortal [must clothe itself] with immortality” 1 Cor.15:53b.
Reading 1 : Mt.16:24-28. Reading 2 : 1 Cor.15:50-54. Preaching 1 (free choice). Preaching 2 : 1 Cor.15:52-53. Other references:
– “ Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life” Jn.3:36a.
– “As it is written: “For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.” (Ps. 44:22). No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us” Rom.8:36-37.
Note: This pericope is published in Malagasy, French, English and German and can be seen on the site www.hifi-madanet.org and on Facebook “HiFi – english “ © Madanet