FLM TOBY FANANTENANA 67 Ha
Communion’s prayer, Sunday V after Easter
Week from 29 May to 03 June, 2017
“Get ready to receive the Holy Spirit”
Introduction: God’s gift of the Holy Spirit to the believers is a great guarantee for the testimony for the Gospel. For He works for the perfecting of the believers and the advancement of God’s work and kingdom. In this regard Jesus said to his disciples: “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth“ Acts 1: 8. To this end, He gave his disciples some reassuring and encouraging words before He left. The first word is a comforting word: “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you“ Jn.14:16-17. The second one is a statement that the Holy Spirit is a witness for the Lord, as Jesus said: “When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me“ Jn.15:26. The last one announces that He is the absolute Master as it is written: “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you“ Jn.14:26.
Monday 29: The gift of the Holy Spirit has been established by God.
“Receive the Holy Spirit” Jn.20:22.
Reading 1: Is.61:1-3; Reading 2: Jn.20:18-23; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Jn.20:21-24. Other references:
– “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid” Is.5:21.
– “I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people. Therefore, come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you. I will be a Father to you and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty” Lk.24: 49.
Tuesday 30: The Holy Spirit, guide in God.
“And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws” Ez.36:27.
Reading 1: Ep.5:15-20. Reading 2: Ez.36:25-27. Preaching 1 (choice). Preaching 2 : Ez.36:27. Other references:
– “The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him—the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of might, the Spirit of the knowledge and fear of the Lord—and he will delight in the fear of the Lord” Is.11 :2.
– “For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God” Ro.8 :14.
– “The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God” 1 Cor.2 : 10b.
Wednesday 31: Preparing to receive the Holy Spirit through prayer.
“They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers” Acts 1:14.
Reading 1: Ex 29:1-9; Reading 2: Acts 1:12-14; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Acts 1:14. Other references:
– “She never left the temple but worshiped night and day, fasting and praying” Lk 2:37.
– “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints” Eph 6:18.
Thursday 01: Be diligent to ask for the Holy Spirit from God. “How much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!” Lk 11: 13b
Reading 1: Mt 7:7-11; Reading 2: Lk 11:5-13; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Lk 11: 13. Other references:
– “Elijah said to Elisha, ‘Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?’ ‘Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit,’ Elisha replied” 2 Kg 2:9
– “If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!” Lk 11:13.
Friday 02: Receiving the Holy Spirit with a new heart.
“And put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh” Ez 11:19.
Reading 1: Acts 2:34-39; Reading 2: Ez 11:14-20; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Ez 11:19. Other references:
– “Who may ascend the hill of the Lord? Who may stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false” Ps 24:3-4.
– “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God” Mt 5:8. – “Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice” Eph 4:31.
Saturday 03: Receiving the Holy Spirit through holiness. “Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth” Jn 17:17.
Reading 1: 2 Sam 22:20-31; Reading 2: Jn 17:13-19; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Jn 17:17. Other references:
– “Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord” Heb. 12:14.
– “Be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy” Lev 19:2. – “Let him who is holy continue to be holy” Rev 22:11d.
Note: This pericope is published in Malagasy, French, English and German and can be seen on the sites www.flm67ha.org and www.hifi-madanet.org and on Facebook “Hifi – English”.