MALAGASY LUTHERAN CHURCH
Communion’s prayer, Sunday XXII after Trinity
Week, from 13 to 18 November 2017
Introduction: Respect God for He is most holy. This is the song of praise sung by the angels attending Him: “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory” Is 6:3. In this regard, the Apostle Paul urged the believers: “Give everyone what you owe him… if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor” Rom 13:7. This word is suitable to the believers nowadays, especially in the difficult time we live in, as is written in the Holy Scriptures: “People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy” 2 Tim 3:2. This is the time of shrinking back due to the increase of wickedness (Mt 24:12), for which reason Jesus warned his people: “For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect” Mt 24:24. Respecting God? It is source of blessing and exaltation for the obedient, but also, source of damage and disgrace for those who do not believe. For it is written: “He is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands. But those who hate Him he will repay to their face by destruction” Deu 7:9b-10a.
Monday 13: Respect God.
“The Lord your God is God” Deu 7:9a.
Reading 1: Jn 14:8-15; Reading 2: Deu 7:9-11; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Deu 7:9-11. Other references:
– “A son honors his father, and a servant his master. If I am a father, where is the honor due me? If I am a master, where is the respect due me? says the Lord Almighty” Mal 1:6.
– “Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him” Jn 5:22-23.
Tuesday 14: Give glory to God.
“To Him be the glory forever! Amen” Rom 11:36
Reading 1: 1 Chr 16:23-31; Reading 2: Rom 11:25-36; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Rom 11:36. Other references:
– “Shout with joy to God, all the earth! Sing the glory of His name; make his praise glorious! Say to God, ‘how awesome are your deeds! So great is your power that your enemies cringe before you. All the earth bows down to you; they sing praise to you, they sing praise to your name” Ps 66:1-4
– “Jesus asked, ‘were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? Was no one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?” Lk 17:17-18.
Wednesday 15: Worship only the Lord.
“You shall have no other gods before me” Ex 20:3
Reading 1: Mt 4:1-11; Reading 2: Ex 20:1-7; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Ex 20:3. Other references:
– “When the disciples heard this, they fell face down to the ground, terrified. But Jesus came and touched them. ‘Get up’, He said. ‘Don’t be afraid. When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus” Mt 17:6-8.
– “Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really know me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know Him and have seen Him” Jn 14:6-7.
Thursday 16: Let the Lord reign.
“But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord” 1 Pet 3:15a.
Reading 1: Jn 21:15-22; Reading 2: 1 Pet 3:10-17; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: 1 Pet 3:14-15a. Other references:
– “But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the river, or the gods of the Amorits, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord” Jos 24:15
– “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me” Gal 2:20.
Friday 17: God stands in solidarity with his people.
“For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them” Mt 18:20.
Reading 1: Is 65:19-25; Reading 2: Mt 18:15-22; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Mt 18:19-20. Other references:
– “This is what the Lord says – the Holy One of Israel, and its maker: concerning things to come, do you question me about my children, or give me orders about the work of my hands?” Is 45:11.
– “And surely, I am with you always, to the very end of the age” Mt 28:20.
Saturday 18: God exalts those who respect Him.
„Those who honor men I will honor, but those who despise me will be disdained“ 1 Sam 2: 30b.
Reading 1: Mt 26:6-13; Reading 2: 1 Sam 2:26-30; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: 1 Sam 2:29-30. Other references:
– “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people He chose for His inheritance” Ps 33:12.
– “Then He said to Tomas, ‘Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe. Tomas said to Him: ‘My Lord and My God!” Jn 20:27-28.
Note: This pericope is published in Malagasy, French, English and German and can be seen on the web site www.hifi-madanet.org and on Facebook “Hifi – English”. © Madanet.