Malagasy Lutheran Church
Communion’s prayer, Sunday XXIII after Trinity
Week from 20 to 25 November 2017
“Seek the kingdom of God”
Introduction : “The kingdom of God” signifies that God is with his people and within them. “With his people” means as stated by the prophet: “the virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel – which means: ‘God with us’” Mt 1:23. For it is written: “For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: ‘I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people” 2 Cor 6:16. And “within his people” means as proclaimed by Jesus, “The Kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say, ‘here it is’ or ‘there it is,’ because the kingdom of God is within you” Lk 17:20-21. He also said, “if anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him” Jn 14:23. It provides us great confidence and guarantee to know that God is willing to remain among us and within us, and fills our lives with his fullness. How could this be done? Let Jesus reign in your heart (1 Pet 3:15). And in doing so, “glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice” Ps 105:3.
Monday 20: The kingdom of God, kingdom of righteousness.
“See, a king will reign in righteousness and rulers will rule with justice” Is 32:1
Reading 1: Ps 110:1-7; Reading 2: Is 32:1-8; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Is 32:1. Other references:
– “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well” Mt 6:33
– “Yet a time is coming…, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks” Jn 4:23a.
– “For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil” 1 Pet 3:12.
Tuesday 21: The kingdom of God, kingdom of peace.
“For kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness” 1 Tim 2:2.
Reading 1: Lk 2:8-14; Reading 2: 1 Tim 2:1-6; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: 1 Tim 2:1-2. Other references:
– “For I know the plans I have for you’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” Jer 29:11.
– “For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit” Rom 14:17.
Wednesday 22: The kingdom of God, kingdom of love.
“This poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others” Mk 12:43b.
Reading 1: Heb 12:25-29; Reading 2: Mk 12:41-44; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Mk 12:43. Other references:
– “I tell you the truth, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her” Mt 26:13.
– “Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God – this is your spiritual act of worship” Rom 12:1.
Thursday 23: The kingdom of God, kingdom of the Holy Spirit.
“For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit” Rom 14:17.
Reading 1: Jn 20:18-23; Reading 2: Rom 14:13-18; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Rom 14:17. Other references:
– “The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor” Is 61:1.
– “You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you” Rom 8:9a.
Friday 24: Seek the Kingdom of God.
“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well” Mt 6:33.
Reading 1: Rom 8:28-31; Reading 2: Mt 6:28-34; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Mt 6:33. Other references:
– “Seek the Lord while He may be found; call on Him while He is near” Is 55:6.
– “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knock, the door will be opened” Mt 7:7-8
– “He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all – how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?” Rom 8:32
Saturday 25: Inherit the kingdom of God. “Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world” Mt 25:34.
Reading 1: Rev 22:10-17; Reading 2: Mt 25:31-40; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Mt 25:34. Other references:
– “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out – those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned” Jn 5:28-29.
– “But Abraham replied: ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony” Lk 16:25.
Note: This pericope is published in Malagasy, French, English and German and can be seen on the site www.hifi-madanet.org and on Facebook “Hifi – English” © Madanet