MALAGASY LUTHERAN CHURCH
Communion’s prayer, Sunday IX before Easter
Week from 29th January to 03 February 2018
“God has compassion on his people”
Introduction: God has compassion on his people and does not repay them according to their wrongdoings and the sins committed in his eyes, but comes to them to receive and save them. For it is written: “you are to give Him the name Jesus, because He will save his people from their sins” Mt 1:21. And the Lord confirms this, so when Jesus came to visit Zacchaeus the tax collector, He said: “The Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost” Lk 19:10. What is man before God’s eyes, indeed, that He is mindful of him, that He will care to look for him? It is described by the parable of Jesus: “Then Jesus told them this parable: ‘Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘rejoice with me, I have found my lost sheep’. I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.” Lk 15:3-7. Surely God shows compassion to his people in order for them not to perish, because his love is great and makes Him say: “For I desire mercy, not sacrifice” Hos 6:6, and He does give a promise of forgiveness of all sins in order to destroy the wall that separated us from Him (Is 59:2), so that the sinners may be reconciliated with Him and may enter is kingdom as “heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ” Rom 8:17. What, then, must be done? The Holy Scriptures declare: “In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent” Acts 17:30. So, be courageous and do it!
Monday 29: God has compassion on his people and forgives their sins.
“I will cleanse them from all the sin they have committed against me!” Jer 33:8a.
Reading 1: Jn 5:1-9; Reading 2: Jer 33:6-9; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Jer 33:8. Other references:
– “Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts. Let him turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will freely pardon” Is 55:7.
– “When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd ” Mt 9:36.
Tuesday 30: God has compassion on his people and delivers them.
“He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us” 2 Cor 1:10a.
Reading : Heb 2:14-18; Reading 2: 2 Cor 1:3-11; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: 2 Cor 1:10-11. Other references:
– “He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captive and release from darkness for the prisoners” Is 61:1b.
– “So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed ” Jn 8: 36.
Wednesday 31: God has compassion on his people and makes them whole again.
“And Jesus healed many who had various diseases. He also drove out many demons ” Mk 1:34a.
Reading 1: Acts 3:1-8; Reading 2: Mk 1:21-35; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Mk 1:34-35. Other references:
– “But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds, declare the Lords because you are called an outcast, Zion for whom no one cares” Jer 30:17.
– “Take heart, daughter, your faith has healed you’ and the woman was healed from that moment” Mt 9:22.
Thursday 01: God has compassion on his people and renews their lives.
“I am making everything new!” Rev 21:5.
Reading 1: Is 65:17-23; Reading 2: Rev 21:1-5; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Rev 21:5. Other references:
– “I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again” Jn 3:3.
– “Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” 2 Cor 5:17.
Friday 05: God has compassion on his people and lets them inherit his kingdom
“Jesus answered him, ‘I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise’” Lk 23:43.
Reading 1: Rev 7:9-17; Reading 2: Lk 23:32-43; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Lk 23:42-43. Other references:
– “Come you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world” Mt 25:34.
– “I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice” Jn 10:16a.
Saturday 03: God has compassion on his people and gives them peace.
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” Mt 11:28.
Reading 1: Ezec 34:11-15; Reading 2: Mt 11:20-30; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Mt 11:28-30. Other references:
– “He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young” Is 40:11.
– “Peace I live with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid” Jn 14: 27.
Note: This pericope is published in Malagasy, French, English and German and can be seen on the site www.hifi-madanet.org and on Facebook “Hifi – English” © Madanet