MALAGASY LUTHERAN CHURCH
Communion’s prayer, Sunday V before Easter
Week, from 19 to 24 February 2018
“God is the Savior”
Introduction: ”God is the Savior” signifies that there is no other god, nor is there other way for man to be saved or to receive salvation. Here the Lord says:“Ignorant are those who carry about idols of wood, who pray to gods that cannot save”, “and there is no God apart from me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none but me” Is 45:20b,21b. This salvation of us sinful humans is the very reason why the Father sent His Son Jesus Christ, as it is written in the Holy Scripture: “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved” Acts 4:12. For God did really speak when He revealed Jesus and testified about Him, declaring: “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!” Mt 17:5. And Jesus confirmed this, particularly when He said: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” Jn 14:6. Blessed are those who encounter Him and whose eyes He opens in spirit to acknowledge Him. Then they will be able to claim—like the Samaritans who said to the woman who had spoken with Jesus: “We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world” Jn 4:42. So was Thomas, the Lord’s disciple, who called out: “My Lord and my God!” Jn 20:28. For those who know and accept God as their Lord and Savior, when facing trouble, will have no doubt but will pray like the Psalmist, saying: “I lift up my eyes to the hills—where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth” Ps 121:1-2. We pray in order to come to truly know the Lord, so that even in the face of our enemies we will trust Him and say like David: “The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?” Ps118:6.
Monday 19: God is the Savior.
“Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God and there is no other” Is 45:22
Reading 1: Lk 2:1-14; Reading 2: Is 45:20-25; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Is 45:22. Other references:
– “The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer” 2 Sam 22:2.
– “But blessed in the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him” Jr 17:7.
– “And you are to give him the name Jesus because he will save his people from their sins” Mt 1:21
Tuesday 20: Jesus is the Savior of the world.
“And we that this man really is the Savior of the world” Jn 4:42b.
Reading : 2Pet 1:10-18; Reading 2: Jn 4:39-42; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Jn 4:42. Other references:
– “Surely in the Lord our God is the salvation of Israel” Jr 3:23b.
– “But the angel said to them: ’Do not be afraid, I bring you good news of great joy that you will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord” Lk 2:10-11.
Wednesday 21: Jesus saves by delivering from sin and healing.
“Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven, get up, take your mat and go home” Mt 9:2b,6b.
Reading 1: Heb 7:20-25; Reading 2: Mt 9:1-8; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Mt 9:2-6. Other references:
– “A cry is heard on the barren heights, the weeping and pleading of the people of Israel, because they have perverted their ways and have forgotten the Lord their God. Return, faithless people; I will cure you of backsliding” Jer 3:21-22.
– “See you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you” Jn 5:14.
Thursday 22: : Jesus delivers us from the deeds of the devil.
“I command you, come out of him and never enter him again!” Mk 9:25b.
Reading 1: Is 61:1-3; Reading 2: Mk 9:17-29; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Mk 9:25. Other references:
– “So if the Son set you free you will be free indeed” Jn 8:36.
– “Who is that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God!” 1Jn 5:5.
Friday 23 : Jesus saves his people from the days of trial.
“I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come upon the whole world to test those who live on the earth” Rev 3:10b.
Reading 1: Heb 2 :10-18. Reading 2: Rev 3 :7-13. Preaching 1 (choice). Preaching 2: Rev 3 :10. Other references:
– “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, Your Savior” Is 43:2-3a.
– “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me” Ps 23:4.
– “The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom” 2 Tim.4:18.
Saturday 24 : Jesus gives an everlasting salvation.
”That whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life” Jn.3 :16b.
Reading 1: Rev 22 :1-5. Reading 2: Jn 3 :5-16. Preaching 1 (choice). Preaching 2: Jn 3 :16. Other references:
– “But Israel will be saved by the Lord with an everlasting salvation; you will never be put to shame or disgraced, to ages everlasting” Is 45 :17
– ”And, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him and was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchizedek” Heb 5 :9-10.
Note: This pericope is published in Malagasy, French, English and German and can be seen on the site www.hifi-madanet.org and on Facebook “HiFi – english “ © Madanet