Malagasy Lutheran Church
Prayer’s communion, Christmas I & II
Week from December 25 to December 30, 2017
“The Messiah has come !”
Introduction: “The Messiah has come!” God’s anointed messenger had been waited for so long to bring salvation not only to the people of Israel, but also to the whole world. The Holy Spirit had indeed prompted the prophet Isaiah to foretell 800 years previously, “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty
God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace” Is.9:6. In the same way, He said by the mouth of the prophet Micah, “But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times” Mi.5:2. He then said, “Sacrifice and offering you did not desire—but my ears you have opened—burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require. Then I said, “Here I am, I have come—it is written about me in the scroll. I desire to do your will, my God; your law is within my heart” Ps.40:6-8. The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world (Jn.1:29) has actually arrived. Therefore Simeon, full of joy through the Holy Spirit when Mary brought the child Jesus in the temple to do for him what the custom of the Law required [the circumcision of a male child on the eighth day], said, “Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you may now dismiss your servant in peace. For my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the sight of all nations: a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and the glory of your people Israel” Lk.2:29-32. Christmas: the Messiah has arrived for us !
Monday 25: MERRY CHRISTMAS 2017! The Messiah has come, God is with us.
“And [she] will call him Immanuel” Is.7:14b.
Reading 1: Jn.1:14-18. Reading 2: Is.7:10-14. Preaching 1 (choice). Preaching 2: Is.7:14. Other references:
– “Rejoice greatly, Daughter Zion! Shout, Daughter Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and victorious, lowly and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey” Zech.9:9.
– “Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor” Mt.11:4-5.
Tuesday 26: CHRISTMAS II. The Messiah has come, God’s glory has appeared.
“His greatness will reach to the ends of the earth” Mi.5:3b.
Reading 1: Ep.1:15-23. Reading 2: Mi.5:1-3. Preaching 1 (choice). Preaching 2: Mi.5:3. Other references:
– “How many are your works, Lord! In wisdom you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures” Ps.104:24.
– “Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me” Mt.28:18.
Wednesday 27: The Messiah has come, joyful news.
“Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord” Lk 2:11
Reading 1: Is 40:1-11; Reading 2: Lk 2:1-14; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Lk 2:10-11. Other references:
– “ Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and proclaim to her that her hard service has been completed, that her sin has been paid for, that she has received from the Lord’s hand double for all her sins ” Is 40:2.
– “The spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed” Lk 4:18
Thursday 28: The Messiah has come, manifested in the flesh.
“The word become flesh and made his dwelling among us” Jn 1:14a.
Reading 1: 1 Pet 1:17-25; Reading 2: Jn 1:1-14; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Jn 14. Other references:
– “Submit to God and be at peace with him; in this way prosperity will come to you” Job 22:21.
– “But we were eyewitnesses of his majesty” 2Pet 1:16b.
Friday 29: The Messiah has come, God’s love which saves man.
“For God so loved the world that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” Jn 3:16.
Reading 1: Jer 31:1-6; Reading 2: Jn 3:16; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Jn 3:16. Other references:
-“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep” Jn 10:11
– “For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men… Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own” Tit 2:11, 13-14.
Saturday 30: The Messiah has come, may the earth and the heavens be full of praise.
“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests”Lk.2:14.
Reading 1: Heb.1:1-5.. Reading 2: Lio.2:1-14. Preaching 1 (choice): Preaching 2: Lio.2:14. Other references:
– “Praise be to his glorious name forever, may the whole earth be filled with his glory. Amen and Amen” Ps.72:19.
– “And they were calling to one another: ‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty, the whole earth is full of his glory” Is.6:3.
Note: This pericope is published in Malagasy, French, English and German and can be seen on the site www.hifimadanet.org and on Facebook « HiFi – english ». © Madanet