MALAGASY LUTHERAN CHURCH
Communion‟s prayer, New Year – Epiphany
Week from 01 to 06 January 2018
“Receive the grace of God!”
Introduction: Receive the grace of God! “Grace” is mostly considered as the acquisition of earthly things, which are easily dissolved. The
Apostle Paul warned about this, saying: “If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men” 1 Cor.15:19. For
“the grace of God” is the gift of forgiveness of sins and reconciliation with God, in order for us to receive his salvation and to inherit the
kingdom of God for eternal life. This is done through Jesus Christ his Son. For it is written: “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord
Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. For he chose us in him before the creation of
the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with
his pleasure and will to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. In him we have redemption through
his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace” Eph 1:3-7. And after He has cleansed us with his precious
blood (1 Pet 1:18-19), He has made us instruments for noble purposes (2 Tim 2:20), to which He freely gives his unlimited grace—and for
this New Year, „the year of the Lord‟s favor” Is 61:2a.
Monday 01: New Year 2018: Receive the grace of God!
“Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters!” Is 55: 1a.
Reading 1: Jn 4:1-15; Reading 2: Is 55:1-9; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Is 55:1. Other references:
– “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” Mt 11:28.
– “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living
water will flow from within him” Jn 7:37-38.
Tuesday 02: Receive the grace of God in Jesus.
“Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved” Acts
Reading 1: Eph 2:1-10; Reading 2: Acts 4:8-12; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Acts 4:11-12. Other references:
– “And he began by saying to them, „today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing” Lk 4:21.
– “From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another. For the law was given through Moses;
grace and truth came through Jesus Christ” Jn 1: 16-17.
Wednesday 03: Take advantage of the grace of God for our own good.
“Sir, the man replied, „leave it alone for one more year, and I‟ll dig around it and fertilize it” Lk 13:8.
Reading 1: Lk 19:37-44; Reading 2: Lk 13:8; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Lk 13:8-9. Other references:
– “Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God‟s kindness leads
you toward repentance?” Rom 2:4.
– “Be very careful, then, how you live – not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are
evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord‟s will is” Eph 5:15-17.
Thursday 04: Walk in the path of the grace of God
“Come, O house of Jacob; let us walk in the light of the Lord” Is 2:5.
Reading 1: Jn 8:10-12; Reading 2: Is 2:1-5; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Is 2:5. Other references:
– “I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into
light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them” Is 42:16.
– “For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consist s
in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord” Eph 5:8-10.
Friday 05: Jesus Christ, grace for the whole world.
“I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring my salvation to the ends of the earth” Is 49:6b.
Reading 1: Jn 3:16-21; Reading 2: Is 49:1-6; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Is 49:6. Other references:
– “And because of his words many more became believers. They said to the woman, „we no longer believe just because of
what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world” Jn 4:41-42.
– “As the scripture says, „Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame.‟ For there is no difference between Jew and
Gentile – the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, „everyone who calls on the name of the
Lord will be saved” Rm 10:11-13.
Saturday 06: The grace of God is merciful.
“A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out” Mt 12:20.
Reading 1: Ex 34:1-10; Reading 2: Mt 12:15-21; Preaching 1 (choice); Preaching 2: Mt 12:20-21. Other references:
– “For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgement of God rather than burnt offerings” Hos 6:6.
– “Then neither do I condemn you,‟ Jesus declared. „Go now and leave your life of sin” Jn 8: 11.
Note: This pericope is published in Malagasy, French, English and German and can be seen on the website www.hifimadanet.
org and on Facebook “Hifi – english”. © Madanet